Don’t get yourself electrocuted whilst trying to save someone already in that situation! Today’s protector must remember that they are themselves a target and aside from increasing their ability to respond with force, being able to blend in and avoid becoming a target can protect the protector.
We are delighted to welcome back Thomas Pecora to the podcast to outline:
- How can protectors remove themselves from harm whilst carrying out their task effectively?
- Can covert operations techniques always be learned or do some people just have innate abilities?
- What is more effective, ‘run-hide-fight’ or ‘run-hide-tell’ and why is the community divided over the topic?
- How can the protector narrow their focus on what matters when external factors might seek to persuade them to ‘know everything’ including irrelevant details?
- What are the best techniques for protectors to extract themselves from compromising situations?
- Are some protectors simply unable to blend into some environments?
- What can we learn from counter-terrorism operations to protect the protector?
Thomas (Tom) Pecora is a former CIA Senior Security Officer who retired after 24 years of protecting Agency personnel. He managed large security programs and operations in Africa, Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, and in various conflict zones. He has over 30 years of experience in protective operations, crisis management, personnel/physical security, and counter-terrorism. As Director of Pecora Consulting Services, he provides security vulnerability and threat assessments, as well as personal safety and crime prevention/avoidance skills training. He is also a published author and has written a memoir entitled “GUARDIAN – Life in the Crosshairs of the CIA’s War on Terror.”
More about the Circuit:
The Circuit Magazine is written and produced by volunteers, most of who are operationally active, working full time in the security industry. The magazine is a product of their combined passion and desire to give something back to the industry. By subscribing to the magazine you are helping to keep it going into the future. Find out more >
If you liked this podcast, we have an accompanying weekly newsletter called ‘On the Circuit’ where we take a deeper dive into the wider industry. Opt in here >
The Circuit team is:
- Elijah Shaw
- Jon Moss
- Shaun West
- Phelim Rowe
Connect with Us: