Safety Advisor – Mobile – Afghanistan
Safety Advisor – Mobile
Employer: International NGO Safety Organisation (INSO)
Closing date 5 Jan 2021
We are now seeking a qualified and experienced individual to join our team as the Safety Advisor—Mobile, a position based in Kabul City. The tentative start date for this position is 01 February 2021, although the selected candidate will be encouraged to start as soon as possible.
Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it. Successful candidates will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate to an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
Safety Advisor positions are offered on a one-year renewable term.
* Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
* Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through daily alerts and reports, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
* Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
* Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
* Manage a small office team, including supervision national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
* Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality.
* Fluency in English, both written and spoken.
* Proven writing, editing, and analytical skills and the keenest eye for detail.
* Significant experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
* Personal and professional resilience in a fast moving, high output, quality-driven program.
* Experience in the humanitarian, and/or risk management and/or humanitarian access sectors.
* Independent drive, motivation, and excellence, and ability to operate and sustainably manage staff and teams under strict systems and deadlines.
* Well-developed personal, personnel, organisational and team management skills and standards in a diverse multi-cultural setting.
* Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles.
* Commitment to humanitarian principles and values.
* Graduate level education in a relevant field or equivalent work experience.
* Recent professional experience in Afghanistan – ideally in the humanitarian sector.
* Prior experience in an inter-agency role.
* Local language skills.
* Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
* Existing local information networks.
Key Personal Competencies
* A good listener
* An effective communicator
* Excellent analyst
* Team player
* Excellent interpersonal skills
* A people manager
* Outgoing and proactive personality
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy:
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified.
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card).
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.).
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract with an expected start date on 01 February, €4550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every two months with €1000 R&R allowance, global medical coverage (excluding USA) , USD 200,000 AD&D coverage.
Interested applicants are requested to send the following via the apply button and reference “Safety Advisor Mobile” in the subject line of the email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
* Cover Letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, any preferred characteristics, your motivation for applying, and what you hope to bring to INSO Afghanistan (2 page maximum).
* Updated CV (5 page maximum).
* One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and report writing abilities (10-page maximum, for internal candidates a longer analytical INSO report for which you are the sole author will be accepted).
Please do not send any additional information (such as copies of certificates, copies of diplomas, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.