Closing date 28 Oct 2020
Safety Advisor- Mobile- Lake Chad Basin (French & English fluency required)Organization
We are seeking an experienced individual to join our team as INSO Mobile Safety Advisor.
The Mobile Safety Advisor for Lake Chad Basin (LCB) will combine a strong humanitarian and safety background with experience of a similar country risk context, a clear understanding of humanitarian safety principles, conflict analysis and with a flexible, outgoing personality he/she will be able to interpret and articulate and publish best information and principled, expert advice to a broad range of humanitarian actors.
Safety Advisor positions are highly rewarding roles, offering a unique opportunity to work in a close-knit team giving security analysis and advice that is not only some of the best of its kind, but that is also vital to the efforts of the NGO community to deliver aid and assistance to the thousands of people who need it. Successful candidates will be outgoing and resilient, with the ability to analyse complex security issues and contexts, give sound practical safety and security advice, communicate to an excellent standard of English both verbally and in writing, and above all else share INSO’s commitment to humanitarian principles.
The Mobile Safety Advisor is a roving specialist who is frequently deployed to our regional offices (Nigeria and Cameroon) in order to cover standard SA duties whilst the regional SA is out of office, and to support local teams in crisis situation or with trainings and on-the-job orientations. Frequent travels and flexibility in adjusting to different regional teams and situations are key requirements of this post.
In addition, the applicant will be able to identify trends and patterns within quantitative datasets of security incidents, linking this information to broader political and socio-economic developments.
The applicant must also be an appropriate representative of INSO among a diverse and important audience of members and a wide network of contacts, including UN agencies, international donors and organizations, local communities and their leaders.
In addition to providing potentially life-saving advice and analysis, our Safety Advisor must consistently represent INSO’s mandate of neutrality and independence, while upholding humanitarian principles and actively promoting the improvement of operating practices, to allow access to be retained and expanded, and vital services to be delivered safely and promptly.
* Establish and maintain an active information network, which includes NGOs, the UN, military forces, and other national and international security actors to obtain credible and relevant safety information.
* Provide NGOs with timely and credible security information and contextual analysis of the local security situation through; daily incident alerts, weekly incident lists and bi-weekly analytical reports.
* Facilitate and lead regional NGO community security roundtables.
* Assist NGOs in developing their own security management capacities by reviewing policy documents, conducting site-security surveys, and assisting in crisis evacuation planning.
* Manage a small office team, including supervision national staff and oversight of local logistics and administration.
* Effectively represent, promote and protect INSO’s mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality?.
* Support the Deputy Director for Support and the Regional Analyst in development of context-specific analysis across the region
* Fluency in English & French (written and spoken).
* Graduate level education or equivalent work experience.
* Experience in insecure/conflict-affected environments.
* Strong writing and proven analytical abilities (proven written/published sample requested).
* Demonstrable understanding of humanitarian safety practices and principles and their application.
* Minimum 1 recent year experience in Lake Chad Basin Region – ideally in an NGO safety role or equivalent – and demonstrable understanding of the security dynamics and context.
* Employment history that reflects experience in both security and civilian fields.
* Experience with NGO security and/or project management.
Key Personal Competencies
* A good listener
* An effective communicator
* Excellent analyst
* Team player
Terms & Conditions: 12-month contract based in Maiduguri, Borno State, Nigeria, €4,550 per month salary, 4 days annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 3 months with an allowance of €1000 each R&R cycle, housing, global medical coverage (excluding USA) and USD $200,000 AD&D coverage.
INSO’s Safeguarding Policy
INSO is fully committed to safe recruitment, selection and vetting of all potential new staff, trustees and volunteers and we will ensure rigorous compliance with our Code of Conduct and Safeguarding policy throughout the recruitment process. As such, the following safe recruitment practices will be applied:
* All offers of employment will be conditional on receiving at least two satisfactory professional references.
* INSO will ask candidates about significant gaps in employment history or frequent changes of employer and address.
* All essential qualifications and relevant professional accreditations and memberships will be verified.
* The successful candidate will be required to provide a valid proof of identity (passport, ID card).
* All new hires will receive an orientation in INSO’s safeguarding policy and procedures and associated documents (Code of Conduct, Whistleblowing etc.).
* All new hires will be required to sign and abide by the Code of Conduct as a condition of employment.
Interested applicants are requested to send the following via the apply button and reference ‘SA Mobile’ in the subject line of your email. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
* Cover letter specifying how you meet the mandatory requirements, your motivation in applying and what you hope to bring to INSO (1-page maximum).
* Up to date CV (2-page maximum).
* Contact information for 3 referees (preferably, work-related and from previous line managers)
* One relevant and substantive writing sample in English that demonstrates your analytical and reporting ability (10-page maximum).
Please do not send any additional information (certificates, other writing samples, etc.) and keep the total size of your application under 2MB if possible.