Safety Advisor – South (French fluency required)
Employer: International NGO Safety Organization (INSO)
Operating in the Central African Republic since 2014, INSO RCA provides services to more than 80 humanitarian organizations with the aim of improving aid delivery and maintaining the safety of staff. The main office is located in the capital Bangui, with two regional offices in Bossangoa and Bambari.
We are looking for an experienced person to join our team as Safety Advisor, based in Bangui.
Specific responsibilities include the production of analysis products according to INSO standards, staff mentoring and monitoring of compliance of services.
* Ensure the delivery of INSO RCA products and services (scheduled and on-demand services) by providing a rapid and credible contextual analysis of the local security situation, in accordance with internal delivery standards and policies.
* Lead regional round tables on the security of the NGO community.
* Manage an operational team, including supervision of national staff.
* Help the country office to set up an active information network bringing together NGOs, the United Nations, the armed forces and other national and international actors in the region.
* Participate in various coordination meetings and forums related to humanitarian aid.
* Help NGOs develop their own security management capacities by providing sound advice, reviewing policy documents, carrying out site security surveys and assisting in the coordination of crisis management.
* Represent, promote and protect effectively the mandate of independence, impartiality and neutrality of INSO.
* Fluent French (compulsory) and working knowledge of English (oral and written).
* Masters level training or experience in a relevant field
* Experience in a post-conflict / emergency environment in the humanitarian sector
* Excellent writing skills, analysis and attention to detail – the position involves a lot of editing and proofreading.
* Strong understanding of principles and practices in humanitarian action, risk management and NGO security
* One year of experience in the Central African Republic – ideally in a role of NGO security manager or equivalent – and a good understanding of the context.
* Professional background that reflects experience in the security and civil fields.
* Experience in NGO liaison with armed forces and armed groups (CMCOORD).
* Experience in capacity building and staff training
* Previous experience in a similar role in an NGO
* Good understanding of INSO mandate and services.
Good listening skills
A good communicator
An excellent analyst
A team mentality
Excellent interpersonal skills
An inclusive manager
Terms and conditions
12-month contract, 4550 € euros of salary per month, 4 days of annual leave per month and 7 days of R&R every 2 months with an indemnity of 1250 € per cycle of R&R, worldwide medical coverage (excl. United States) and AD&D coverage of $ 200,000 USD.
Protection and recruitment policy:
INSO is fully committed to the recruitment, selection and verification of our new employees, administrators and volunteers. We will ensure strict adherence to our code of conduct and protection policy throughout the recruitment process.
As such, the following recruitment practices will be applied:
Any job offer will be conditional on receipt of at least two satisfactory professional references;
INSO will question candidates on any important gap between the different positions or frequent changes of employer and address;
All essential qualifications and professional accreditations, as well as memberships, will be verified;
The successful candidate will have to provide valid proof of identity (passport, identity card);
All new employees will receive orientation on INSO codes and procedures in terms of protection policy (code of conduct, whistleblowing, etc.);
All new employees will be required to sign and abide by the code of conduct as a condition of employment.
Interested candidates should send the following documents via the Apply button with the reference “Safety Advisor – South” in the subject line:
A motivation letter specifying how you meet the prerequisites and desired characteristics, your motivation to apply and what you hope to bring to INSO (2 pages maximum);
Up-to-date CV (5 pages maximum);
Relevant and substantial writing in French that demonstrates your editorial analysis skills (5 pages maximum).
Please do not send additional information (such as copies of certificates, diplomas or other writings,…) and please keep a maximum size of 2MB for your application.